How Can I Reduce Waste at Home?
Here are some ideas to help you and your family reduce the amount of waste that you produce at home:
- Make more foods at home instead of buying takeaway or convenience foods.
- Make gifts or cards for family and friends, instead of buying them.
- Grow your own vegetables and flowers.
- Buy second-hand books instead of new ones
- Repair clothes, toys, and appliances rather than replacing them with new ones.
- Hire, share and borrow things, rather than buying new ones, where possible.
- Shop more carefully:
- use a shopping list – only buy the things you really need
- avoid goods that have too much packaging
- don't buy too many
disposable products, such as tissues and nappies
- buy products that are strong, and will last you a long time
- take your own shopping bags to the supermarket